Online Resources For Life In Portugal
This is a compilation of online resources, from directories to forums to portals for Portuguese authorities. Wherever possible, the English version of the website is linked here. However, for technical reasons, sometimes you can only convert to the EN version after you visit the PT version.
SHORTCUTS TO POPULAR SECTIONS:
MIGRATION TO PORTUGAL
High Commission For Migrations / Alto Comissariado para as Migrações
This is a Portuguese Commission for both Immigrants to Portugal & Portuguese Emigrants. The ACM website answers many common questions about living, studying, and working in Portugal. Read this first as a general overview.
If you are a foreigner establishing residency (temporary or long-term) in Portugal:
Vistos.mne.pt is for obtaining a visa for Portugal, IMIGRANTE is the guide for residency requirements, SEF is the government authority, their site has legislation, and CNAIM is the immigration support centre once you’ve arrived.
PORTUGUESE LAW IN ENGLISH
The DRE (Diário da República Eletrónico) is the official website for Portuguese legislation, some of which is translated into English but for reading purposes only (not legally binding). The following is the DRE’s guide for investors, but it is useful for ALL foreigners doing their research and due diligence as it provides a summary in English AND provides the law reference.
THE LABOUR SYSTEM IN PORTUGAL
UK Government Guide To Living In Portugal
The gov.uk website has a section for assistance and services in Portugal for UK citizens, but other English speakers will find it helpful as some of it is applicable to ALL foreigners.
Sections include: applying for a European Health Insurance (EHIC) Card, getting documents legalized, residency, healthcare, driving, a list of medical facilities and practitioners, travel advice, translators and interpreters, car importation, support of British citizens abroad, UK benefits, and voting.
Residential Tourism Guide - Portuguese Tourist Board
Living In Portugal is the Portuguese Tourist Board’s official website for Residential Tourism. It’s specifically for foreign citizens who wish to live in Portugal.
Portugal - Facts & Figures
- PORDATA Contemporary Portugal Database (statistics about municipalities, Portugal, and Europe)
- CIA World Factbook (good for economic summary & statistics in table format)
- Encyclopedia.com – Portugal (a more comprehensive overview and history)
- World Health Organization – Portugal
- OECD (The Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development) – Portugal data
Finances / Taxes
- Portal das Finanças: https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/
- overview of the Portuguese Tax System (EN) (including taxation agreements signed by Portugal)
- overview of Personal Income Tax from AICEP (Portugal’s trade & investment agency)
- PWC’s overview of corporate and individual tax matters in Portugal
- How to get a NIF/fiscal number from ePortugal.gov.pt (translate the PT version, the EN version is incomplete) — we provide Fiscal Representation in a limited capacity, please consult with us for more information
- “Duties of a Fiscal Representative” – article by Dennis Swing Greene of Eurofinesco in The Portugal News
Portuguese Culture, Customs and Etiquette
- http://www.commisceo-global.com/country-guides/portugal-guide (brief)
- http://www.everyculture.com/No-Sa/Portugal.html (more comprehensive)
Cost of Living Indices and Comparison Tools
Searching For A Home In Portugal
Casa Pronta is a government service to assist with real estate formalities. (Available only in Portuguese.)
Real Estate Guides in English
Note: there is no MLS (Multiple Listing Service) in Portugal.
Properties can be listed in classified advertising sites, agency sites, or unlisted and advertised only by a phone number in a window. I’ve made three lists below where ads can be found, with some overlap.
Includes furnished/unfurnished, short-term rentals, property sales, under construction, etc.
- https://www.idealista.pt/en/ **
- https://www.olx.pt/imoveis/ (classifieds — includes homes)
- http://www.custojusto.pt/ (classifieds — includes homes)
** Watch out for FRAUDULENT LISTINGS — especially on Idealista! Contact us if you’re unsure, we will review the ones in question.
Furnished rentals only
- ttps://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-student-housing (not just for students)
- https://www.uniplaces.com/ (not just for students but be aware no viewings allowed, rentals are sight unseen)
Real estate agencies
Calculating Electricity Costs
Moving Pets To Portugal
Portugal news media in English
- P GLOBAL (a selection of the Portuguese news company Público translated to English)
- ECO News (online economic newspaper focusing on Portuguese Companies, Banking, Markets and Politics)
- The Portugal News (bare-bones translations of Portuguese news; you’re better off to use browser extensions for translation)
- Portugal Resident (note: articles are often “tabloid” style translations of Portuguese news, oriented towards Algarve and UK expats)
- Portuguese American Journal (Portuguese-American publishers, based in the USA)
European Portuguese Language Learning
- 25+ FREE Learning Resources For European Portuguese – The Portugalist (some are below, but many are not).
- Talk the Streets – YouTube Channel, online resources, tips
- Portuguese With Carla – a podcast/YouTube channel with free lessons
- Portuguese With Leo – podcast with transcription, YouTube Channel, online resources
- Portuguese Lab – podcast, resources, website with free content
- Learn European Portuguese Online – website of resources + blog
- 123 EuroPortuguês – native Portuguese teacher based in the USA
- http://www.internetpolyglot.com/portuguese/lessons-en-pt (there’s also an app)
- useful Portuguese phrases, by Omniglot.com
- Forvo: Portuguese Pronunciation Dictionary (includes useful phrases)
From intermediate to advanced
- Practice Portuguese – study materials for European Portuguese learners (recently, offering more basic lessons for beginners as well, not just for intermediates/advanced)
- The EP Experience – European Portuguese language and culture blog by Luís Domingos
- Portal Da Língua Portuguesa – Portuguese language portal, an organized repository of linguistic resources
- Learn European Portuguese – Google site with a listing of other resources, including most frequently-used Portuguese words
Online dictionaries, translators, and grammar assistance
- Linguee.pt – (here’s PT/EN), also has an app
- Reverso – a contextual translator
- Microsoft Translator (note: sometimes better EU text, but Brazilian voice) – also has an app
- Google Translate (note: tends to favour Brazilian PT) – also has an app
- Conjuga-me – this site will conjugate Portuguese verbs
- Priberam – Portuguese dictionary
Emergency, Crime Prevention & Related Community Services
- IMT (Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes) portal: http://www.imt-ip.pt/ (if your browser is set to English, try this and run it through a translator)
- Expatica: How to get a Portuguese driving licence as a foreigner?
- Portugal Tolls
- Paying Highway Tolls: https://www.pagamentodeportagens.pt/PPP_Portal/PPPHome.jsf
Post Office Locations and Services (EN)
Within Portugal, try Chronopost (part of the post office): http://www.chronopost.pt/en/
Beach Directories for Mainland Portugal
Services For Expat Communities
- AFPOP (Association of Foreign Property Owners of Portugal) – expat association based in Portimão (Algarve), founded in 1987; membership fee provides a range of services for foreigners in Portugal
Expat Blog* directories, Portugal